Barcelona (CNN)A second terror attack has occurred in Spain’s northeastern Catalan region, hours after a van drove into a large group of pedestrians in a crowded Barcelona street, killing 13 and injuring around 100.

In the early hours of Friday morning, five armed attackers knocked down “several” people with a car before being killed in a shootout with police in the small coastal town of Cambrils, 120 kilometers (75 miles) south of Barcelona.
Officials have so far provided few details on the Cambrils attack, other than confirming that six bystanders were injured, two seriously, along with one police officer.
Reports the attackers may have been armed with suicide belts remains unverified, though police say a specialist bomb disposal team was deployed.
In a press conference Thursday, Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy labeled the Barcelona attack as “jihadi terrorism.”
Rajoy’s government has declared three days of mourning across Spain, according to his official Twitter account.
Here are the latest developments:
— A third suspect has been arrested in connection to Thursday’s attacks in the city of Ripoll Friday morning, Catalan police say.
— Catalan police said on Twitter they are currently treating the Cambrils and Barcelona attacks as related.
— Police are still on the scene in Cambrils after they shot five terrorists dead following a shootout. A number of controlled explosions were carried out.
— People from at least 24 countries are among the injured, according to the Catalonia government, including dozens of French citizens. A Belgian has been announced as one of 13 people declared dead.
— King Felipe, the Spanish head of state, will lead a moment of silence at 6 a.m. ET on Friday morning at Plaça de Catalunya in Barcelona.
Shoot out in Cambrils
According to a spokeswoman for Catalonia’s president, there was a shoot out with five alleged terrorists in Cambrils after they drove an Audi A3 into several civilians.
They didn’t say how the attack began or where exactly it took place in the small town.
Photos from the scene showed the black Audi, flipped upside down with its windows smashed out, being removed from the scene.
Police officers stand near an overturned car onto a platform at the spot where terrorists were intercepted by police in Cambrils, Friday, Aug. 18.
Police officers stand near an overturned car onto a platform at the spot where terrorists were intercepted by police in Cambrils, Friday, Aug. 18.
28-year-old Alex Folch told CNN he saw the immediate aftermath of the shoot out from his holiday apartment on the fifth floor of the Club Nautic Cambrils, on the Consulat de Mar.
He said he saw three people lying on the ground surrounded by police, with what appeared to be “a metallic kind of belt” around their waists.
From where Folch was located, he could see snipers on the roof beside him and later heard controlled explosions conducted by police.
‘Scene of carnage’
The first attack began at about 5 p.m. on Thursday afternoon, in one of Barcelona’s most popular tourists districts.
A white van with blue markings drove into a packed crowd of locals and visitors enjoying an afternoon along Las Ramblas, a predominantly pedestrian area full of cafes, bars and street performers.
“I saw people flying into the air and everyone was running into the shops on either side,” witness Ali Shirzainia told CNN. He saw the van drive past him.
Shirzainia said the driver appeared to be driving “in a zig-zag motion” as fast as he could, trying to hit as many people as possible. “It was just a really, really horrific scene of immediate carnage,” he said.
More than a dozen people were killed, with the death toll expected to rise, while about 100 others were injured. The driver escaped and is still on the run.
The van used in the Barcelona attack was abandoned at the scene, August 18, 2017.
The van used in the Barcelona attack was abandoned at the scene, August 18, 2017.
ISIS’ media wing, Amaq, has said the Barcelona attackers were “soldiers of the Islamic State,” but stopped short of explicitly claiming responsibility for the attacks or providing evidence for their claims.
There were reports at the time of a hostage standoff at a Barcelona cafe but police later confirmed they were false. Separately, police shot dead the driver of a car who ran into and lightly injured two police officers at a checkpoint in Barcelona Thursday.
The night before the Barcelona attack, one person was killed following an explosion in a house in Alcanar, a town to the south of Barcelona and Cambrils. Police said the victim was a Spanish national and the incident was connected to the Barcelona van attack. One person was later arrested.

Witnesses describe Barcelona attack 01:30
Citizens from 24 countries among injured
By Friday, countries from across the world had begun to announce their citizens were among the injured and the dead on the streets of Barcelona.
According to a statement from the Catalonia government released Friday, citizens from Spain, France, Germany, Holland, Argentina, Venezuela, Belgium, Peru, Romania, Ireland, Cuba, Greece, Macedonia, UK, Austria, Pakistan, Taiwan, Canada, Ecuador, USA, Philippines, Kuwait, Turkey and China are among those injured.
Belgium’s foreign ministry spokesman Jose de Pierpont told CNN early Friday one Belgian was among those killed in the attack although he wouldn’t identify them further.
Later on Friday, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said in a statement that 26 French nationals were injured in the terror attack in Barcelona. Of the 26, at least 11 were seriously in the attack.
Other countries have confirmed injured citizens as well. Australia’s foreign minister Julie Bishop announced four Australians had been injured, one was missing and three needed consulate support in the wake of the Barcelona attack.
Additionally, a Hong Kong citizen was “lightly” injured in the attack, Chinese state media Xinhua reported.
There has no information as yet on the other identities of the people killed in the Thursday attack, or those injured in Friday’s incident in Cambrils.
Pocket of radicalization
It is Spain’s deadliest terror attack in 13 years — in 2004, a suspected Al Qaeda terrorist cell blew up Madrid commuter trains killing 192 people and injuring thousands.
Europe has been the target of a spate of deadly terrorist attacks in recent years, but so far Spain had been left untouched.
But Fernando Reinares, director of the Global Terrorism Programme at the Elcano Royal Institute, told CNN Barcelona had long been a “prime scenario” for jihadi activities in Spain.
“It is the major radicalization pocket in the country. Barcelona is a big port city, close to France (and) has a long history of jihadis. The first jihadi ever in this country was arrested in Barcelona in 1995,” Reinares said.
Since then, a quarter of all individuals arrested in Spain for jihadist terrorism have been residents of Barcelona, according to Reinares.
The Barcelona attack was the sixth time in 13 months a vehicle has been used by Islamist terrorist to cause mass casualties in a European country, including major incidents in France, Germany, the UK and Sweden.
World leaders ‘stand united’
The leaders of other European cities recently targeted by terrorists sent their sympathies to Spain. London major Sadiq Khan described the Barcelona attack as “barbaric.”
15h
Sadiq Khan ✔ @SadiqKhan
My thoughts are with the victims of this barbaric terrorist attack in the great city of Barcelona and with their brave emergency services.
Follow
Sadiq Khan ✔ @SadiqKhan
London stands with Barcelona against the evil of terrorism.
12:20 PM – Aug 17, 2017
675 675 Replies 1,364 1,364 Retweets 4,039 4,039 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
“London stands with Barcelona against the evil of terrorism,” he said on Twitter.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel called the attack in Barcelona “revolting,” her spokesman tweeted. “We are mourning the victims of this disgusting attack in Barcelona — in solidarity and friendship side by side with the Spanish.”
US President Donald Trump tweeted a swift denunciation of the Spain attacks: “The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever it is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!”
Follow
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help. Be tough & strong, we love you!
1:00 PM – Aug 17, 2017
36,848 36,848 Replies 58,075 58,075 Retweets 181,615 181,615 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
CNN’s Steve George, Vasco Cotovio, Hilary McGann, Claudia Rebaza, Laura Goehler, Duarte Mendonca, David Valenzuela, Julia Jones and Karen Smith contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com